Many factors are usually considered when trying to create an online presence for your brand or business, but one thing you cannot neglect is the website cost in the UK.
The route you decide to choose will determine the website cost, these routes are hiring a freelancer, using a website design agency, using a web builder, and finally using WordPress.
The needs of a small business will differ from that of a personal brand or a big eCommerce website, therefore, the cost will differ based on the needs of your website and your budget.
The cost of building a website in the UK costs from £1000 to £100,000 spending on the size and demand of your website.
This post will give you more information on the different ways you can use to design your website and the estimate of the cost.
1. The cost of hiring a freelancer in the UK
Freelancers are people who work as writers, web designers, copywriters, graphic designers and other digital professionals on a contract basis. They work with a variety of clients in their areas of expertise.
There are freelance web designers that you can hire to design a customised website design to meet your website needs. A typical freelance web designer will charge you hourly.
Advantages of hiring Freelance web designers
- They are flexible and readily available
- They charge based on their expertise and time
- You have a pool of experts to choose from
- They are cheap compared to outsourcing your work to an agency
Disadvantages of hiring a Freelance Web designers
- You cannot monitor or supervise their work
- Their commitment may fluctuate
- They may have access to your company’s vital information
The average cost of hiring a freelance web designer in the UK is £30 – 50 per hour. If you are looking to hire a freelance web designer you can visit freelance websites like Freelancer, Upwork or Fiverr.
2. The cost of using a Web Design agency in the UK
Web design agencies have experts dedicated to meeting the web design needs of people like you. They have both experience and expertise.
Advantages of using a web design agency
- They have a lower risk because you can do a background check and verify their credibility
- you can easily hold them accountable for any mishappening
Disadvantages of using a web design agency
- It can be expensive compared to other ways you can use to design your website
The average cost of using the services of a web design agency in the UK starts from £3,000 depending on what you want.
You can get web design agencies by searching on Google and checking directories. Make sure to also check the agency’s reviews to verify their credibility and reputation.
3. The cost of Using a web builder in the UK
Web builders are websites with templates that you can use with ease to build your website. It is a DIY platform, you will need a little experience to design a website with them.
Some examples of web builders you can use are Wix, Olitt, Godaddy and Squarespace.
Advantages of using a web builder
- It is easy to use
- It is cheap
- You don’t need technical skills to use one
- You have a library of templates you can choose from
Disadvantages of using a web builder
- It is suitable for all kinds of websites
- You are limited to a library of templates
- It can become a bit technical as you progress with it
The average cost of using a web builder to design your website in the UK is £10 to 20 per month depending on the platform you decide to use.
4. The cost of using WordPress to design a website in the UK
WordPress is an open-source Content management system with themes and plugins that you can use to design your website in the UK.
WordPress can be used to design e-commerce and professional websites. It has lots of flexibility and customization.
Advantages of using WordPress to design your website
- It doesn’t require many coding skills
- It is easy to use
- It has features all kinds of websites
- You can easily learn it if you are on a low budget and want to DIY.
Disadvantages of using WordPress to design your website
- You need lots of Plugins to make your website function maximally
- It requires updating your theme and plugins frequently
The average cost of hiring a WordPress developer in the UK is from £700 to thousands of pounds depending on the requirements of your website.
But if you want to design it yourself, you have to worry about hosting and domain fees only. The average hosting cost for hosting in the UK is £10 per month.
Things to consider when hiring a web designer in the UK
1. Domain and hosting
Web hosting is a space given to you on the internet to keep your website files so you and your visitors can retrieve them whenever there is a demand for them. There are lots of web hosting sites in the UK you can use to host your website.
The features you require will determine the cost of the hosting.
A domain is the identity of your website on the internet, it’s the name that differentiates your website from other websites. The domain extension you choose will determine the cost. The price of a .com domain differs from that of a .co.uk domain.
You need to choose your hosting company carefully because your hosting affects some critical factors like website speed, security, and customer support.
2. The credibility of the web designer
This is a very important factor to consider since hiring a web designer is a bit costly, you shouldn’t invest your money blindly.
You should check reviews about the freelance web designer or web design agency you want to use. Try to verify their credibility, if they have good reviews, it’s more likely that they will do a good job for you too.
The cost of a website in the UK depends on the requirements of your website and the means you want to use to design it.
Therefore you need to consider your budget, the type of website you require, and the best means to design it. If these factors are in place you can then meet the right persons to design it for you or acquire the right skills to design it yourself.